Sometimes on PS4 PS4 NAT Type Failed occurs when you’re playing a game. Nowadays everyone wants to chat with their teammates when playing a game online. The error NAT type failed occurs when you’re playing a game and do party chat with your teammates.
It means there is a problem with your network connection or something else. PS4 NAT type failed means there may be a problem with the network connection or IP address or with DNS.
When there is a problem with NAT, you cannot able to do party chat with your friends when playing games on PS4. This is necessary to fix the error to do party chat with your friends while playing games on PS4.
PS4 NAT Type Failed
The PlayStation doesn’t provide a complete guide to fix any error which appears on the PS4. But I’ll help you to fix every error and problem which appears on your PS4 console.
The main reason to occurs for NAT Type Failed on PS4 when there is a problem with your network. In this situation, you can contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) if they can solve your problem. Otherwise, you can solve this error with the help of this post.
I’ll provide here a complete guide on how to fix PS4 NAT Type Failed. But you need to follow the below steps by step to fix the error (problem). If you don’t know about PS4 NAT Type here is the full definition of PS4 NAT.
Reason for PS4 NAT Type Failed
PS4 NAT Type Failed issue occurs sometime only because this problem is related with the network. When it occurs on your PS4, on the other devices the network is properly working but only on PS4 the network is not working. This means you need to configure the network settings on your PS4 console.
Sometime this happens due to router’s problem or something else with your network related device. Look at the below reasons for PS4 NAT Type Failed:
- There may be a problem with your network configuration (incorrect network settings).
- The firewall might be blocking.
- Needs to change DNS.
- Maybe needs to enable UPnP on your router.
- Maybe needs to enable DMZ.
When you know the reason why the PS4 NAT Type Failed is occurs on your PS4 console, it’ll be easy to fix the problem. Without knowing the reason we can’t think any solution of any problem.
Solution for PS4 NAT Type Failed
Now, this is the time to fix PS4 NAT Type Failed on the PS4. The main reason for coming NAT type failed there is a problem with the network. This means you need to check there everything until fix this issue.
Everything means you need to check first network configuration, UPnP settings, DMZ settings, DNS server, port settings. From one of these listed settings is misconfigured you may face the NAT type failed on your PS4.
You may also like:
Method 1: Manually Configure the PS4 Network Settings
The problem maybe you’re facing due to incorrect network settings on your PS4. When you setup incorrect network settings on your PS4 the problem must be appears on your screen. To fix the network problem issue on your PS4 you need to do correct network settings.
Manually Configuring Network Settings on PS4
Let’s start the steps to do manually configuring network settings on PS4. Just you need to see the steps and apply them to your PS4 console.
- Open the CMD (command prompt) on your Computer or Laptop just pressing Win + R and write [CMD] > [Enter].
- Now, type ipconfig/all and press enter.
- Now you need to remember or note down the IP address, the default gateway, the subnet mask, and the DNS server.
- Then go to PS4 Settings
- Select Network
- Choose Set Up Internet Connection
- Here you’ll see the two option, Use Wi-Fi and Use a LAN Cable, choose one of them which your’re currently connected.
- Select [Custom] > enter the network information you just noted down
- Select [Do Not Use] as for [Proxy Server]
- Wait until it updates. When you see [Internet settings updated] > select [Test Internet Connection].
- You’ll see your PS4 Internet connection and know the NAT Type.
Now, check if the NAT Type Failed on PS4 is fixed or not.
Method 2: Enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) for your router
On the most cases manually configuring network settings method is worked. But sometimes it not worked, in this situation you need to use enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) method to fix the PS4 NAT Type Failed. UPnP will allows the devices on a network to discover each other.
When on your router the UPnP is enabled it’ll help to improve the connection when you’re playing a game and party chat with your teammates and other people. To enable UPnP on your router you need to access (login) the router.
- To login your router open a browser and type there the router’s IP address and enter the username and password.
- Go to [Advanced] > [Forwarding] > [UPnP] or on some router you can find the UPnP section in other tab.
- Click Apply/Save to save your settings.
- Reboot the router.
- Now, go to PS4 [Settings] > [Network] > [Test Internet Connection]. When the test internet connection is completed you’ll see there the type of NAT.
Method 3: Enable the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) server
The full form of DMZ is Demilitarized Zone, it means this is a physical or logical subnetwork that exposes the external-facing services to an untrusted network. We will try to enable DMZ to fix the NAT type failed issue on your PS4.
When you successfully enable and configured the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) on your router, it’ll improve your network performance. But it needs to be correct all the settings on the router. There are so many people who are worried about the network security issues, they think it’ll cause their personal data but it’s okay until you’re using it at your home. But I recommend you only use this configuration on your home’s router, not on the public.
When you enable DMZ on your router it’ll help to correct the network configurations on the router and establish a good network connection on the PS4 console.
Configure the DMZ on your Router
- First, note the IP address of your PS4.
- Login to your router using a username and password. The router’s IP address maybe 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.31.1, etc. The router’s IP address may be different according to the router’s company.
- Go to [Advanced] > [Forwarding] > [DMZ] and tick on enable DMZ.
- Enter the IP address which match with your PS4 console.
- If your router has the NAT Filtering option, such as the NETGEAR router, you can also tick to open NAT filtering. If your router hasn’t this option doesn’t need to do anything.
- Now click on save/ apply changes.
- Then reboot your router and wait until the router comes online.
- Now, go to your PS4 [Settings] > [Network] > [Test Internet Connection] and check your NAT type, you’ll see there Type 1 or Type 2 if this method works for you.
I hope this method will works on your PS4. If still you face the NAT Type Failed on your PS4 try the next method below.
Method 4: Forward Ports for Your Network
The Port forwarding means redirecting a communication request from one address and port number to another while packets are traversing a network gateway, such as a router. When you correctly forward the ports the network connection will be improved.
The Sony company has already listed a number of ports which you can forward. I’ll write here how to forward ports and if it works or not on with you.
- Login to your router as the above way.
- Go to the forward ports section or ports forwarding, Virtual Server, Applications, it’ll be different according to your router.
- Add the custom forwarding ports. You can try the following ports recommended by Sony:
80(TCP), 443(TCP), 3478(TCP and UDP), 3479(TCP and UDP), 3480(TCP)
- Click on Save/ Apply Changes, according to your router.
- Now, go to your PS4 [Settings] > [Network] > [Test Internet Connection] and check your [NAT Type].
Now, check if this method is work or not.
Method 5: Using Ethernet Cable
This is the more secure way of connecting your console to the internet. When you use ethernet cable on your PS4 console, it is better than Wi-Fi. When you use the ethernet cable there will be 0% loss and you’ll get 100% speed.
Sometimes the PS4 NAT Type Failed occurs when there is a security reason. So, before buying a router must know all about that router’s feature.
- Disconnect your PS4 console from Wi-Fi, and connect it with using the ethernet cable.
- After connected to the internet with the ethernet cable test the internet connection and see if the NAT type failed is fixed or not.
Method 6: Inquiry on your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
Sometimes your ISP (Internet Service Provider) maybe change something with the network settings and you’ll be facing the problem. Ask them if they’ve made some changes with it or not?
This type of problem occurs if there may be some changes on the firewall from the ISP’s end and it’ll be fixed only when they’ll revert everything which they’ve made changes with a firewall.
Method 7: Disabling IPv6
I think the PS4 doesn’t supports IPv6 mode, so you need to use IPv4 when connect to your PS4 to the router. Nowadays in the most router IPv6 is automatically enabled. But if you face the NAT Type Failed on your PS4 you need to disable IPv6 and enable IPv4 from your router.
You can do this just log in to your router and check the option where is listed IPv6 and IPv4, tick (enable) on the IPv4, and click on save changes. Then try if the problem is solved or not.
Method 8: Change DNS Server
When you change the DNS server PS4 NAT Type Failed can be fixed easily. If you don’t know how to change DNS Server click here for a full guide.
Normally the NAT type failed occurs when there is a problem with your network.
You need to apply the above methods to fix NAT Type Failed on PS4.
No, it's good for PS4.
You need to check your network connection or contact to your ISP.
Maybe you've not rebooted your PS4 or the router which you're using. Try to reboot them and try if the problem is fixed or not.
You may also like: